Thursday, October 9, 2008

Swiper, No Swiping

For awhile Jared has been using this phrase when Spencer gets close to him and he doesn't want him to. When he first started saying this I kept asking him what he was saying and he'd say it exactly the same way so I knew he knew what he was saying. I had no idea what he was saying. Everytime he'd say it I'd have him repeat it.

This had been going on for about 1-2 weeks when this morning Jared was watching TV while I was getting breakfast ready and I heard Dora say the same phrase, "Swiper, no swiping." I quickly asked Chris what she just said because I couldn't understand her either but it sounded just like what Jared had been saying. He told me and I explained what Jared had been doing and when he used the phrase.

It ends up that there's a character on Dora named Swiper, (I think, I don't watch Dora she bugs me), who takes things away so they chant this to stop him. The light went on in my head. Now when he said it it rang loud and clear. Try saying that phrase to someone who doesn't know what you're saying and they won't know what you're saying.


Jared must have thought this phrase would stop Spencer from getting into his toys and prevent him from taking them. So I guess he is learning from TV, interesting how kids think! :)

7 comments:

Mike,Shar,Ryan,Rex said...

Hi I don't know if you remember us, the utley's! We found your blog on your facebook. Mike just wanted to say congratulations on passing the bar! Hope all is going well with you guys!

Melissa said...

I'm not a fan of Dora either. Her voice drives me crazy! Luckily that show is on when during naps. And, I can't believe you have a walker! I still have a crawler. I think it will be a while before he catches up to Spencer. Miss you guys! And congrats on passing the bar!

The Hungry Homemaker said...

I dislike Dora also. The kids still watch it sometimes though. I think what bugs me the most is the merchandise. My kids will NEVER have anything Dora...

Anonymous said...

I have the smartest grandsons!!! A new phrase for Grandma. Swiper,No swiping!!

Ali said...

That's funny...I totally recognized that character cause I've been watching my nephew Kaleb this week and we've watched it together :) THat's really cute that he would actually use the phrase on Spencer!

Heidi said...

I think it's so interesting how kids take what they see on tv and make it part of their reality. For the longest time Jacob thought if I bought him a dragon scale he could go to dragonland!

Angela said...

I had a good laugh out of that one! Maybe Spencer should be Swiper for Halloween, but please don't make Jared Dora!