Monday, October 27, 2008

Happy Birthday Spencer!!!

How does time go by so quickly?! As I looked over posts from Spencer's birth to the present I look at this past year with so many fond memories. I remember being scared to have two and being sad that I would no longer be able to give Jared all of my attention. But in having Spencer I have given Jared more than ever possible if he were to be an only child. Jared and Spencer love each other and that is the biggest pay day a mother can see, to see her children love, play, and help each other. How lucky I feel to have two beautiful boys.

Spencer is quite a character. At one he already has an opinion and doesn't take no for an answer. I thought all one-year-olds were mellow and when a toy was taken away they shrugged and moved on. Well, that's not necessarily true for this one-year-old. Maybe it's having an older brother but he'll definitely give Jared a run for his money and he's not afraid to yell and cry. Sometimes Jared really gets to him and you see his face change and it looks like he's going to charge him and he burrows his face into Jared and, I think, tries to bite him. I wonder what kind of two-year-old he'll be. What an adventure we have to look forward to!!! Whatever this next year brings I'm just grateful Spencer is part of it. Life just wouldn't be the same without this little guy. We LOVE you Spencer!

For the big day we started it with presents and pancakes, went to a music group, took two naps!, cleaned house, played with toys, went to airport to pick up grandma and papa B, Gino's pizza for dinner, cake, bath, bed. And that's pretty much how it worked!I LoVe first birthdays when they get to dig into the cake and have free reign. I thought for sure Spencer would be my child that went crazy and got all messy. I was sadly disappointed. He was shockingly dainty and shy about the process. He eventually learned he liked the taste but didn't "dig" in. Jared on the other hand did! At first I didn't see him taking bites out of the cake because I was watching Spencer. I guess if I really want a kid to get messy I should wait for the 2nd or 3rd birthday to let them have at it.(I did make the cake. It was really easy I had the mold and just did a star tip for the frosting.)
Jared and Grandpa enjoyed cake and ice cream (Jared mooched off of grandpa after he finished his own.)

5 comments:

nerak said...

What a doll! I can't believe how much Spencer has changed since I saw him last summer.

Ali said...

WHO made that panda cake or where did you get it? It is adorable!!! Spencer's adorable too- crazy that he's a year already! Time flies.

Justin & Heather said...

I agree with Ali...adorable cake! Did you make that????

Marjorie said...

I did make the cake but don't be too impressed, it was really easy and I did it quickly. Luckily pictures didn't show any fine details:)

Angela said...

Take credit for what you did, the cake IS amazing flaws and all! What fun to have mom and dad there with you! I can't believe it's already been a year. How time flys...