Thursday, February 3, 2011

Forecasters Were Right

I was skeptical when Chris first told me of the potential storm about to come. I was sure we were going to have a storm but as much as 18-28" of snow? Well they were right. I woke up several times to the fierce wind and the snow didn't stop. This is what we woke up to:
No school, no work, and no school the next day. Woot, woot. Chris started shoveling and soon realized if we didn't want to be out there all day and into the next we should look into getting a snow blower.
So he called the Home Depot three blocks from our house and they had two left.
Jared and I set off to hopefully acquire one as Chris sent emails to our association to check and see if everyone was ok with the purchase. (Below someone walking in the street. For the first half of the day no one used sidewalks but walked in tire tracks in the road.)As we got to HD one of the snow blowers was walking out the door, but they had two more just one choice (the nicer more expensive was just sold). I was debating which gas can to buy trying to decide how much gas we'd like to trek back home from the gas station, when one of the workers said he was leaving to get some gas for the store and offered to fill up my can. I thought great and let him. About an hour later he came back, in the meantime the last snowblower left. I thought he was driving but he walked, meaning he carried two-five gallon cans, full of gas, back with him. I felt so bad. And then another worker offered to help me home. I tried to refuse but he was insistent. I decided though that I would do the heavy load and pulled the snowblower and he could carry the gas can. I was e.x.h.a.u.t.e.d. I had to walk on the partially non-paved sidewalk till our street because I didn't want Jared walking in the main street with the few cars that did come. On our street it was just as hard or harder even in the tire tracks because the tracks weren't wide enough. But I made it without having to ask my helper to switch. I'm glad we got the snowblower It worked great. It was a little difficult since the snow was so deep we had to go slow with it and lift it up and down, back it up, and go over areas multiple times but it was less exhuasting.
Chris just starting the back parking lot. It was so deep back there.
Clearing the back parking lot was mainly done by Chris, me, our neighbor Julie and a few others helped out at the end. By the end of the day I was exhausted and falling asleep sitting upright as Chris was talking to me. Our alley by our garbage can. We're not going out that way for awhile.
Our side walkway with two huge mounds blocking the path that we didn't even try to tackle because our efforts were spent in more important areas. A couple street shots in front of our place in both directions, after a snowplow had been through.
Our front walk way that Chris did all by himself, part by hand part by snowshovel.
Our neighbors mound in their front yard.

4 comments:

Ali said...

Double WOW. That is the most snow I've ever seen in one place. Makes me feel like we live in separate countries...crazy! Stay warm, and enjoy the time together! I almost wish we had a snow day so Jeff could stay home...although I don't envy all the work that would go into it:)

Ali said...

Oh, by the way- I got your message today but my battery was dead and I was out when I got it. I'll give you a call tomorrow!

Melissa said...

holy cow! when you're done shoveling your way out, you're more than welcome to visit your old pals in sunny LA. we'd love to have ya!

Camille said...

Wowzers!! And I thought it was bad when we shoveled and then it filled right back up!! I'm glad I wasn't out there to help you with this storm! ;) I bet the kids loved it though...enjoy it while you can right? :) Love you guys!