Friday, March 19, 2010

Potty Training

So Spencer could so be potty trained but it's in his ball court. He's ready, he can do it, but... he's head strong so I've been waiting for him to want to do it. For a long time he's been using the toilet occassionaly when Jared goes. He can control his bladder and he knows what he's doing. But any time I tried to suggest underwear he strongly protested. Until... Monday he was excited to wear underwear out of the blue. I think he was the one that even suggested it. And how did that day go? Not one accident and he even went #2 almost every time.

He calls #2 Piles. Awhile ago on one of his random trips to the potty he went #2 and I said, "Wow! Good job Spencer that was a huge pile!" Now after going he asks, "Huge Pile?" Or before he goes he says, "Make a pile." So now when I ask him if he needs to go I ask him if he wants to make a pile and go water.

So day one went well but day two he refused to put underwear on. So we did a pull-up and he wet it, granted I didn't ask as much because I didn't worry about the mess I'd have to clean up. Then day three he was ready to wear underwear again and he had one accident at dinner time. Day four he had an accident during his therapy session and then he pooped his pants at a park. Changing a poopy diaper is one thing but poopy underwear is horrible. Then today he didn't have any accidents till dinner.

I hope he doesn't change his mind because he can do it! But if he doesn't want to I can't make him. He is a strong willed child and I don't want to fight him yet so I'm crossing my fingers that he will continue to be excited to be a big boy with big boy underwear making big piles:)

1 comment:

Wendy said...

HAHAHA, Oh I love this post. And I sorta love that I'm not going to have to potty train a boy first. Although a girl could be just as head sttrong, the temptation to "hose" the room down wont be there. I love the piles. Oh that is so classic.