Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Spencer Therapy

We had Spencer tested for his speech early December through Early Interventions and he qualified to have a therapist come into our home once a week. Often when there's a speech delay there's often other areas of developmental concern but Spencer was more than fine in the other areas so it was just speech we were targeting.

I really struggled whether I should do therapy or not because he's only two and I knew he'd eventually talk but I decided to because it gets so frustrating to communicate with him because it's a guessing game and we both get frustrated cause we can't understand each other.

Spencer struggles with c, k, g, n, and sometimes b and p sounds. He also would start saying words but not finish the end consanants of words. But the day before we started, early February, on our way to school he pointed to a truck and said truck, with the end "k"! I had him say it a few times excitedly. There was no denying that he was improving.

This last month Spencer has made huge progress saying all the sounds he's struggled with. Granted he's not saying them all the time but he can. He's saying 4 to 5 word sentences and we're able to understand so much more. I've wondered how much therapy has helped because I feel he was on the brink of a breakthrough regardless of therapy. But the more I've thought about it the more I've realized that was the best timing for therapy because he was a sponge soaking it all in.
He's come a long ways and I'd be fine taking him out of therapy but his therapist has assured me he still needs it and she'll only keep coming if she thinks he needs it. My biggest hang up is he's two! He'll get it with time and at least now I can communicate better with him. She's also commented that Spencer is her fastest learning and eager student. Granted though I think Spencer is one of her easiest students and didn't need it as badly as her typical student. So for now we'll keep him in it:)

2 comments:

cherie said...

Spencer is doing great with his speech. I am glad you are having him do the therapy. It will just help him. I miss him and Jared and Miles(and Marjorie and Chris)!!

Grandma B said...

Spencer needs to call and talk to Grandma Bingham!!!!