Wednesday, October 12, 2011

We've Gone From This:

To this:
So Monday I took Jared back to the clinic I initially took him to. His vision seemed to be getting better but he had Monday off so I decided to take him for a quick check instead of waiting til the 28th.

A student stared going over things with Jared and everything seemed fine, which I thought it would. She had him read some things far and close. He took his glasses off and said, "I can read it without my glasses too." The doctor came and looked at his eyes and we were sent on our way. I took Jared over to a different room to have his glasses adjusted better. While there, the doctor came to me and took me out in the hall to talk while the student entertained all three boys. She proceeded to tell me that Jared had the right prescription but it was so insignificant that she wouldn't have prescribed him at his age.

She said his eyes were strong and focused well, his depth perception was fine, and his eyes didn't wander or anything else that would be of concern to her at this age and at his prescription numbers. So I asked her what she would do if it were her child. She said if he wanted to wear them she'd let him because they'll only help. But if he didn't want to wear them she wouldn't make him and he wouldn't be hurt by not wearing them either.

I then asked her about the potential of growing out of it and she said there's a good possibility he could, which the other doctor said he wouldn't because of his astigmatism in one eye. I asked her about that and she said everyone has a slight astigmatism more or less and his isn't in the "sweet spot" where it affects the amount of light entering the eye so he could still grow out of it.

We talked a little bit more, I got her information for future reference and we left. I felt so much more confident with this doctor than the first doctor we had. She explained everything well and answered all my questions thoroughly and I was impressed that she sought me out to tell me all this when Jared would've been fine other wise. She wanted me to be aware of all my options and I really appreciate the time she took to talk with me (a good 10 mins). I wish we would have seen her the first time.

You know the funny thing though? I've already grown to love the way Jared looks in his glasses. They had become part of him and something was missing whenever he didn't wear them.

So far he's opted not to wear them to school, Tuesday and Wednesday, but wore them at the end of the day yesterday. I've been deliberating if I should keep my appointment on the 28th or not and I'm leaning towards canceling it. I want to get a third opinion since the first two were opposite, the first doctor initially said he needed to wear the glasses just for reading, homework and things of that nature and then changed it to all the time.

I think I'm going to hold off on it though because Jared is sick of eye doctors at the moment and I think it's psychologically hard for him to be told you have to wear them to you don't have to but you can if you want. I trust the second doctor more, even though she did less tests with him, and I feel good with what she said. We'll definitely be testing him in a year from now and in the meantime he's not going to be hurt by wearing or not wearing them. Oh and the school does eye testing at the end of the month so he'll be checked again then.
The first and last picture is of Jared with his first library book. When he first showed Cherie (Chris' mom) and me we had to try hard not to laugh. We read about 20 pages of it. I told him to get a smaller one next time. He got a Goosebumps book and we have about 20 pages of that one left to read; much better.

3 comments:

Grandma B said...

Wow. That is crazy. He sure does look cute in them though! I love that boy.

Jake and Katie Schwabedissen said...

I like the way he looks in his glasses too! He's such a cute kid either way.

Ali said...

Oh man. Differing opinions can be so confusing...but go with the one that makes you feel most comfortable for sure. Usually they are the ones that just tell it to you straight. He does look cute with or without. I love his book choice too! haha!