Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Adjusting to a Hard Working Man

So it's been about a month since Chris' work has really picked up and kept him busy. During that time we're ReallY lucky if Chris is home by 6:30 (mainly only Monday nights). The rest of the time it's either right before the kids go to bed or just late. The kids probably see him two out of the five nights of the week and occassionly three. At first when this routine started I honestly didn't know how long I'd last. Can I just say that having an amazing husband/father makes it way hard to not see him, especially the kids! They adore Chris and would often cry/complain when I told them he was coming home after they went to bed (this is mainly Jared). And lately Jared has been sleeping in til after 8:00 so he doesn't see him in the morning either.


The first week I was really worried how long I could last. Quite frankly I disliked it and I know Chris did too (as far as not being with his boys) But the good thing is the boys and I have adjusted quicker than I thought. Jared doesn't complain near as much and is able to cope with what I tell him better. I've learned to just expect a late evening so I'm not disappointed. Another good thing is Chris is sensitive to both the kids and me. If I sense that Jared needs more dad time I just tell him tonight you need to be home for dinner and he comes, and if I've had all I can have then he comes and rejuvinates me.

As much as it stinks not having our dad/husband around as much we are so grateful he does have a job and for the most part enjoys it. He doesn't come home complaining (yet) and still makes a valiant effort to be with us when he is able to. I guess now we've just hit "real" life! I know tons of other people who do this and have done this for years. To excel in anything you have to put in the hours, do the grunt work, and be a hard worker to reap the dividends. I love him dearly and so grateful that even though he's busy he still comes home and makes me happy and smile. I don't know how I got so lucky to have him!

1 comment:

Angela said...

I hear you, glad you're hanging in there, and glad that Chris is sensitive to you and your kid's needs! It does get better...the kids just know when Moe goes on his trip he's going to be gone for awhile...towards the end of really LONG trips though they start asking, "When's Daddy coming home?" It just makes the time that he is home all the more sweeter I have found!