We received the call late Saturday night on the 18th of February. Chris' Great Gram had died. It took me by complete surprise. I was sad and shed a few tears that evening as the realization hit me that I wouldn't see her again. Yes she was turning 102 next month, and we realized it was possible of her going anytime, but she was healthy for a 101 year-old that I didn't expect it happening so soon. I thought there would have been some warning or signs of decline leading up to her death but there wasn't any of that.
Really she left perfectly and beautifully. She hadn't been feeling well that uday and asked Jim for a Priesthood Blessing. She was put to bed and not even three minutes after the attendants left her daughter came in to say goodnight and she was gone, quietly and gently.
She had a good strong mind up until the end. Up until a month prior she had been on her own, living with her dog Candy in her little trailer. Only after a fall that scared her did she decide to go in to assisted living. She had a wonderful (WONDERFUL) daughter that saw her daily, took her shopping, to doctor appointments, or whatever else she needed. She had a wonderful grandson, my father-in-law, that called her daily to check in on her and took her out often for a meal or brought one in to her.
Whenever we visited for the summer or Christmas they were sure to have dinners at their house or picnics with her. She was loved. Jared when seeing Great Gram would often say, "I love her."
We told the kids the next morning about her passing and Jared cried and was really sad. The other two didn't know quite what to do. I knew it would be important for our family to make it to her funeral and pay our last respects. This was the first death of someone close to any of them and I could tell it wasn't really sinking in. Jared and Spencer would occasionally make comments like, "Is she dead yet?" "Will she be dead when we get there?".
We set off Tuesday afternoon for our 24 hour drive to Idaho. The boys did amazing especially considering we had a 3 hour detour through Colorado seeing Wyoming's roads were closed due to weather. We arrived Wednesday evening just in time for the end of her viewing. It was a tender moment to witness as Jared walked up to his great-great grandmother who was lifeless and still. His little heart broke and the tears spilled freely as he the realization sunk in. I cried with him and embraced him. We talked lots about eternal families and gratitude that we knew great gram for as long as we did. He was able to compose himself and stop crying when talking with grandma and grandpa but several times he'd go up to look at her and he'd start crying again. Before coming Chris had told them we were coming to pay respect to her and say good-bye. Right before leaving I gave Jared a warning that we'd be leaving soon. We had made arrangements with my sister to leave them with her during the funeral so he knew this was his last time to see her. He walked up to her casket and through tears and muffled talking he said, "Bye Great Gram. See you in heaven." He really loved her and I cried again with him.
Spencer and Miles did exactly what I expected them to do. Spencer was a little weirded out and just wanted to leave. Miles was curious more about her coffin and had no idea what was going on.
The funeral was lovely and I learned some interesting facts about Great Gram. She was only three pounds when she was born. She is half Finnish, her father was from Finland. Her first home after being married there was no running water so her husband brought it in daily. She lived in Jerome for a short period. She grew up in the horse and buggy era. She loved flowers. There was lots more but those are some things that stuck out to me that I wasn't aware of or hadn't thought of before (horse and buggy).
After the funeral I raced to my sisters to grab the kids, dress them, and head off to the burial site. We missed the dedication prayer but that's all right. I think the kids still appreciated seeing her burial site and they had already lowered her casket into its resting place. Talk about quick service.
I'm sad we weren't able to see her one last time, but I'm grateful my boys and I were able to know her. "See you in Heaven Great Gram:)".
Chris' siblings minus Ashley (Chris, Ty, Mallory, Bailey and Jordan)
2 comments:
Beautiful, tender post!
wow, over 100...that's amazing. She sounded wonderful and the experiences you shared here are just too tender and sweet.
Post a Comment