I did it. It's done. Thank goodness! (Warning: Do not read this post to be inspired; it is actually quite negative, my first marathon was more inspiring)
My first marathon I enjoyed my training so much more than this time round. I think this time it's because I've been more tired (I think that's due to the fact that now I have three kids and Chris is a lot busier than when he was in school), I've been trying to avoid injury by running at a slower pace (it's not as fun if you can't push yourself and see your time improve), and at the very beginning of the training I changed my running form from heal striking to running on the pads of my feet (I've loved the change because it's allowed me to run longer distances but it's put extra strain on my achilles and calves.)
Back in July a friend in Chicago suggested I start training and run the Indianapolis marathon with her and a couple other girls from church. I really wanted to but who was I kidding?! I'd been running but it was sporadic and the most I'd run at a time was three miles. I told Chris about it and he was such a great motivator that I decided heck, why not start training and see how it goes? I can bow out if it's too much I thought. Problem #1: I don't bow out very well; I hate quitting.
My first week of training was 3, 4, 3, 7. My first three-mile run I ran half on my heals and half on the pads of my feet and since then I've been running on the pads of my feet. Problem #2: not allowing myself sufficient time to adjust to a new running style. After every long (Saturday) run I was sore as my body tried to adjust to being pushed beyond its capacity. These muscles had no base to go off of.
Problem # 3: Not figuring out how to avoid injury. Whenever my IT band flared up (my previous injury) all I’d do is slow down my pace and maybe not go out for one of my runs during the week. My friend, Stephanie, (the one who also ran the marathon) had been telling me about the foam roller specifically for the IT band and how wonderful it was. I finally made the time to go buy one just two weeks from race day. My knee gave me lots of pain in my 19 mile run and was uncomfortable in my 20 mile run (I had slowed my pace down for this run to 10 min miles. I typically aimed for 8:50 to 9:20 min miles on long runs and 8:20 and below for pace runs). Anyway back to the foam roller. I started too late and I should have figured out or gone to a specialist or running classes (something!) to find out what all I should be doing. But in my little head, I was thinking maybe this is enough. I had just finished a 12 mile run when I got the roller, so all I had left for long runs was an 8 mile run. I did a pace run and ran it averaging 8:10 min miles and felt fine. Hmmmm… maybe I could try to qualify for Boston after all, which became problem # 4. When training for my first marathon I realized after my 20 mile run that qualifying for Boston was within my grasp. I was ahead of pace to have a qualifying time on my first mararthon until I injured my IT band. Thinking back on this made me believe, I might be able to try and qualify this time, which was a bad idea.
So race day came (quick side note: Wednesday that week I woke up with chills, headache and sore throat, rested lots in hopes it’d go away. Friday came, still there. Went to the doctor, strep throat, but cleared to run the next morning). I slept better than I’d ever slept before a sporting event. I woke up once at 2:00, ate a bagel, drank two cups of water, took my antibiotic and tried to go back to bed (took me an hour). Then at 6:30 the alarm woke me up.
I felt good and ready, a little nervous, and unsure as to how to run but ready to get it done. I started off feeling fine and thought why not keep a good pace and see how it goes. To qualify for Boston I’d have to run it in 3:40 or faster. I started off running with the pace group 3:45 and felt fine up until… mile 10 when I felt my knee flare up and I knew I had to pull up.
As people passed me I wanted to shout out, “I’m not walking because I’m exhausted or giving up, it’s my knee”. From then on out, I took MANY breaks to stretch and walk. I kept thinking I
shouldn’t finish because I was hurting me knee more by continuing. But who likes to quit? See Problem # 1. It was hard seeing all the pacing signs pass me by seeing how far behind my goal I was getting. Somewhere around mile 18, I changed my form to allow my right leg to be as straight as possible when running to put minimal strain on the IT band. I’m sure I looked funny/awkward. Finally by mile 22, I saw Chris and the boys.
It was THE highlight of the whole race. And since there was no running for time I took my time and gave hugs and fives and chatted about how I didn’t feel great. I finished at 4:27:33.
shouldn’t finish because I was hurting me knee more by continuing. But who likes to quit? See Problem # 1. It was hard seeing all the pacing signs pass me by seeing how far behind my goal I was getting. Somewhere around mile 18, I changed my form to allow my right leg to be as straight as possible when running to put minimal strain on the IT band. I’m sure I looked funny/awkward. Finally by mile 22, I saw Chris and the boys.
Stephanie and me after the race
Afterwards I was sore. Whenever you run at different paces you are using either new muscles or using muscles differently by changing the cadence. I was all across the board on my pace and I also walked (speed walked) a good deal. My calves were on fire! After my nice, long shower I rested by my sleeping Miles while Chris took the older two swimming with our friends the Watkins and their two girls. Then when walking to lunch, I felt like my calves were going to split with each step they were so tight. I was cursing myself for finishing and worried if I felt this bad now how would I feel tomorrow morning. After lunch I came back and iced (should have done this first thing). I started out with just one bag of ice for my knee but by the end of the night I went to bed with seven bags of ice all over my legs. 
Sunday morning I woke up feeling better than I thought. Thank you ice! And on our way home I sat in the back seat by myself with my legs covered with bags of ice for two hours before I couldn’t take it anymore. Then when we got home I took an ice bath for about 15-20 mins. I truly believe the ice, and me not running the whole marathon, has made all the difference in my recovery. I was sore and walking funny Monday and Tuesday, but by Wednesday I was walking normal. Occasionally I have a little pain, but I’m feeling great. I’m not sure when I can go out for a run again. I tried running from my car to the museum on Friday and could tell my knee still needs time but hopefully not too long.
So now I have completed two marathons and strangely enough I still want to do another one. BUT I’ve got to figure out how to avoid injury allowing me to run at faster paces. Because it’s not going to be fun for me to go out and run a slower pace when I know I can do better. If I’m going to enjoy it I want to push myself and strive to be better or it loses its appeal. We’ll see when my next marathon will be… For now triathlons are next on my agenda:)
7 comments:
you.are.my.hero. Is it crazy I want to brag that I used to run with you?! haha. You rock!! I'm sorry your knee was holding you back- I can only imagine how frustrating that would be. I see you running Boston someday for sure...just get professional advice on how to avoid injury and you'll DO IT!! again, you are my hero. Way to go!
You are awesome Marjorie! Congratulations on finishing the race, I am proud of you! I have always admired people who are able to discipline themselves to accomplish something so physically straining! Love you!
You are amazing!!! I justdid a 1/2 marathon and thought I was going to die :) What a great accomplishment!!
good for you,
but yes,,, one word triathlons!!
i'll do some with you.
I don't know, I was pretty inspired by this post!!! As I read this I was so impressed by your determination. So glad the recovery was easier this time. Just get professional help. Love you and proud of you!
Let me guess on the no walking comment-Skyles...Well I always tell people like you they are crazy and awesome all at the same time! I don't know of anyone that I've met who trained for a marathon or half marathon who hasn't been injured while training...so you are doing great for even finishing while being injured! I'm glad you listened to your better judgement and decided not to be too tough! Congratulations!
Wow Marjorie! Cannot believe I didn't know you were running a marathon until after! Maybe someday I'll run a 5k...maybe... Love your honesty and your grit. You are amazing (sorry I can't help but say it:)) Love You!!!
Post a Comment