Sunday, July 27, 2008

This One's For You Dad!

My dad was an avid supporter of his children when it came to sports. He went to all the competitions he could and he spent hours researching to try and help us become better. He was supportive in all our sports but I think he loved running the most.

He was like a personal trainer for us. When my sister Angela started running there wasn't a good program in place so after researching different training programs he wrote up one for her. He did more than her coaches and they ended up using his running schedule. He was passionate about our running and you could sense his pride when watching him watch his children run. I will never forget the year that Angela was a state champion in the 1600 and 800. What an exciting event and just thinking of it now I remember the butterflies I felt while watching her run and win those events!

I will also never forget the year that the batton was knocked from my hand during the state 4x4 race. I was devastated and crushed. As I walked off the field I wanted to cry but I couldn't. I hate having people see me cry. All I wanted was my dad. Usually I would want my mom when I was emotional but this time I felt my dad understood more than anyone what I was going through. As I approached the gate where only athletes and coaches were allowed to enter there stood my dad. When I saw him I got choked up and as I reached him he embraced me and the tears finally came and he just held me. He didn't have to say anything but I knew he understood the hurt I was experiencing. So this past January or February Angela and I expressed to each other how we wanted to run a marathon. She commented how cool it would be to run it for dad. After I found a marathon we could run and still have time to train for before I left for Chicago Angela also thought it would be cool to open the invitation to everyone in the family who wanted to participate in either a marathon, 10k, or 5k walk.

So this past Thursday Mom, Heidi, Angela, Camille, and I ran/walked for our dad. Angela and Camille ran on hurt hips and knees and then came and ran the last 3 miles of the marathon with me to help me push through an aching knee and ankle. Although my dad could not speak to express what he felt, Heidi witnessed how proud he was once again as he watched and cried to see his girls run again and to know it was for him. Right before I crossed the finish line I almost started crying. When I stopped running my legs turned to jello and I almost fell from weakness. And once again after running, I wanted my dad. As I approached him after the race I was emotional and met an even more emotional dad. For all the time, energy and commitment you gave to us before in all our activities, This ONE was for YOU Dad!!! WE LOVE YOU!

7 comments:

Ali said...

Ok, this made me bawl. (you have a way of doing that to me these days!) This was so touching! I always thought it was neat what you were doing and how you were doing this for your Dad, but when you describe personal stories behind it and all, it's all that more meaningful now! How touching. Thanks for sharing...and congrats for FINISHING! You never cease to amaze me.

Alicia said...

That is so awesome! So neat that you all ran for your dad. I am sure he wished he could be running with you. What a great tribute to such a great guy. Congrats on finishing!!!

Brooks and Andrea said...

Marjorie, you are awesome!!! I remember running x-country with both you and Angela and how supportive your dad was. I think he helped a lot of us get through the race.

Anonymous said...

Touching story, Marjorie. You are an awesome daughter to a wonderful dad. He continues to inspire me as he continues with his lot in life with a smile on his face and a welcoming handshake to all of us. Thank you for taking such good care of him. I love him as a brother and marvel at his wonderful family. You are the best.
Love, Aunt Janice

Haley Hale said...

Oh Marjorie-that is such a sweet thing to do. Congratulations on finishing, too. You are awesome!

Rynell said...

You ladies inspire me (and make me cry).

Kaela said...

So sweet!! What a neat story. You are really an inspiration!