Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Potty Training has Begun

Who starts potty training and taking away all naps in the same day? I do. (Miles has been fighting naps lately and when he does nap he stays awake for a long time talking to himself. That was fine until we've moved him in with the older boys and he keeps them awake too. So far he's been manageable by evening time. We'll see...)

I so have not wanted to potty train Miles and I've kept putting it off because of summer travel... but it's time. He doesn't want to wear diapers, he lifts his bum into the air to have me wipe it for fun, and he constantly says "potty". My biggest concern was he'd never actually gone on his little toilet all the times I'd let him try, only once for Chris. So yesterday, late afternoon, after trying to get his diaper on him unsuccessfully I asked him if he wanted to go on the potty and he said yes. I brought his little toilet out into our dinning room and had him sit on it. He sat there for awhile and nothing... I went to the bathroom for something and came back and he had gone. I guess it's time.

So now we just finished day two. I don't know how many messes I've cleaned up, at least three different poops, but I don't think there's any turning back now. He's not doing too bad. If he has an accident he shows me where it happened, he loves the praise and rounds of high fives he gets from Jared, Spencer, and me, and many times he goes to the potty and goes without me coaxing.
I've really been impressed with how well he's done today. We have had several accidents but he's started telling me when he needs to go. He often goes to sit on the toilet just to let a few drops fall. He'll sit on the toilet for awhile and turn red in the face to try and poop to please his older brother's request. I think he's ready, I just don't know if I am...

The biggest con is I'm stuck in my home at least this next week. I love getting out and doing things but that's impossible when potty training. Another con... he's the third. I can't watch him like a hawk like I was able to with the other two, hence I think I'm in for more accidents. But luckily he does tell me when he forgets to use the toilet.

3 comments:

Grandma B said...

Too cute. I love that BOY!!!!!!!!

Camille said...

Sweet! That's one thing I'm not looking forward to--potty training, but luckily I still have a bit right? :)

Ali said...

Yowzers. Way to go Miles! He looks like such a big boy in those camping pics with a full head of boy hair!

...I dread trying this again with Evan. I'm afraid of failing again...but I think I just need more patience...could you give me some of yours??