Sunday, July 17, 2011

Safe at Home!

It's now been two weeks that we've been back from our almost month long trip to Idaho and I miss it. I miss family, the country, the openness, and the relaxing environment. We drove out in June and Chris flew back after a week and flew back out on July 4th so we could begin our trek back.

This is the second time we've hit wildlife when driving across country but the first time we had to stop and take care of it before finishing.

We had just stopped for dinner in Sydney NE, headquarters for Cabela's, and were beginning to start our drive again. When out of the median flew a pheasant and I immediately thought, "We're going to hit it, there's no way we're going to miss it." Sure enough, SMACK, I killed my first pheasant. My instinct was to turn my head and when I turned I guess I swerved. Luckily Chris saw the bird too and put his hand up to the steering wheel and countered my swerve. I didn't think I swerved a lot but I'm grateful Chris had the instinct to put his hand there because who knows what could've happened. It could've been a big swerve and then an over correction and lets just stop there...
We pulled off at the next exit tried to work with our insurance, which was a little difficult, and ended up driving back to Sydney going 45 mph with our hazards on. Since it was July 4th there was no shot of beginning the process so we checked in to a hotel. I had glass every where on me and when I stepped out I tried to shake it off but there was so many little pieces that wouldn't come off. I gently tried rubbing it off but that didn't work either. I did manage not to get any more cuts other than the small ones I'd received from the first impact, and luckily no cuts on my face just one shard of glass was stuck in my jawline but that's it. You can't really see the glass but it was everywhere.
I tried to rinse off but I still felt like glass was everywhere. The boys wanted to go swimming so I went too. Much better after that.
It was a nice break to have Chris with us and just enjoy our little family. The next day no one had our windshield so they'd have to order it and do it the next day, Wednesday. After hanging out at Cabela's and swimming a lot we were ready to go. We were at Walmart getting some snacks for the trip when we got a call saying the windshield they received was cracked:(. So now there was no way we'd be out of there until Thursday, we went from planing on being home Tuesday morning to getting home Late Thursday early Friday.

Up until this point Chris had tried to squeeze and hour or two in of work here or there but after the phone call he said he needed to try and get in at least eight hours for the day and suggested we go to a park. Well that lasted 5 minutes. No one was there, the toys were mediocre at best, and it was hot. Luckily I thought to go to a library and did a quick search on our GPS and set off. It was a cute little library that had a toy section so it was perfect and we spent all our time there.

The next day our van was ready and we were off, after finding a place to vacuum out our van. They did a horrible job, very disappointed on that front. But our kids were happy we were eager to get going and we made it back without any other occurrences.

We're scheduled to go to Idaho again soon and I'm glad we'll be flying then!

6 comments:

Ali said...

How CRAZY/SCARY! Marjorie! Glass all over crazy in your arm and jawline?! Yikes. I'm glad it was nothing more, but what a shake-up it must have given you all still! Glad to hear your month in ID was awesome and wonderful...I'd love to see pics from that:) Love you guys.

Brooks and Andrea said...

I ran into Jim at Tim's reception and he told me what a fun drive home you had :( It was so good to see you for a minute on Sunday. I sure miss you guys.

Justin & Heather said...

I am so glad you are all ok! You handle things so well marjorie...so impressive to me! Glad you got to spend so much time with your family though...and Chris!

Alison Hixson said...

I'm glad you guys are ok! How scary. I wish we could have had a chance to get together while you were here. It makes me sad that we were sick the entire time you were here! The next time your here give us a call! My boys would love to play with yours!

ps, did you ever get the my blog invitation? I sent you one, but I don't see you on my list. Do you want another one?

Keith said...

The structure of this draft needs some work. Giving away the bird strike at the beginning ruins the suspense of the story. Further, the male lead is boring and doesn't add anything. I would either replace the father with a more exciting character or, even better, have him stay back in Chicago working the entire time. Finally, as they say, "location, location, location." While I like the Cebela's tie-in, no one cares about Sydney, NE. How about having the breakdown in Sydney, Australia? I'm thinking Kangaroo Jack meets Cannonball Run. Also, instead of a minivan, how about a broken spaceship?

Just a few suggestions.

Heidi said...

I didn't know about your accident and delay until you were safely back in Chicago! Guess you should have stayed, huh?
So very, very grateful you guys are ok. We love you!!!!!
Have you gone swimming again since you've been back?:)