Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter and its Meaning

Today was a long day... We went to an easter egg hunt, did a couple errands, went to the park, rode bikes, ran another errand, hurried and made dinner and sent Chris on his way to priesthood. It was a good day just a long day leaving me very exhausted and to top it off I still needed to workout clean up my messy kitchen and semi messy front room and make our treat for tomorrow. My plan was to get the kids to bed soon after dinner; they too were tired from waking up early, playing hard, and no naps. Miles crashed but I still had the other two, the harder two. We got through the routine fairly smoothly (undress, pajamas on, go the bathroom, diapers on, brush teeth, say prayers, read at least one chapter from a book (right now it's James and the Giant Peach), and sing songs.)

My plan was to get through everything quickly so I could get on with everything else I had to do tonight. But I had an impression to ask the boys about Easter and get their thoughts. So I asked them if they knew why we celebrated Easter. Their response was for Candy and the Easter Bunny. I corrected them and told them about Christ, the atonement, crucifixion, and resurrection. Our conversation went on for a good 30 mins about Christ, his suffering, what it meant for us, and his love for us. It was a tender moment for me. One that strengthened my testimony as I explained Christ's atonement and resurrection and a moment where I was touched by the sensitivity of my children. Spencer was so concerned for Jesus and kept saying, "Jesus died! Jesus owie. Need a bandaid." And Jared had several questions and intently listened to everything and when I went and got pictures to show the boys he told me that we knew a song about this. I thought he would start singing a primary song but he sang the song "Gethsemane" which we hadn't sung for several months.

I'm grateful for the little prompting I had tonight. I was getting frazzled by the time bed time came around but after putting my sweet boys to bed I am rejuvinated. I still feel exhausted and I'm still not looking forward to exercising, baking, and cleaning, but I feel lifted and spritually fed making it worth putting off those things for a little while even if it means going to bed later. I am grateful for Easter and the opportunity it gives us to remember Christ, his suffering, his death, and his resurrection. What a powerful thing to know and share.

3 comments:

Grandma B said...

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for teaching my precious Grandchildren what is most important! That was what conference was all about today. Teaching the children. Luv you all!

Ali said...

Sweet, sweet. It was the unplanned teaching opportunities that my Mom took that I think stuck the most. I can think of several. You are one smart Momma and continue to be my idol :)

Camille said...

Marjorie...you are amazing. I'm so glad I have awesome sisters as examples. I just hope I can one day grow up to be just like you :) Give the boys a hug and kiss from me...I sure do miss you all. Sure do love ya!