Sunday, December 6, 2009

Jared's Four!

I can't believe he really is four. I miss those days when he was a baby but love him as a little boy. Chris and I looked at each other one day and it hit us that Jared is no longer a toddler but a little boy! I love how I can talk with him and have conversations.

The last few days I've had little conversations here and there that I've loved. One I was asking him questions about school and asking him the rules he has to follow. He was telling me a bunch of the rules and got to one,
"Don't throw rocks... or blocks cause then you have to go to the thinking chair."
I then asked, "Did you have to go to the thinking chair?"
Jared, "Yeah, I threw a block at Bryan."
Me, "Oh, that's not very nice I hope you didn't mean to. Do you have to go to the thinking chair often?"
Jared, "No, I don't like it."
Me silently, "few!"

Some other not so cute conversations but cute at the same time:
Jared, "You're a bad mom!"
Me, "I'm sorry, why am I a bad mom."
Jared, "You say bad words and put me in time out."
Me, "What bad words do I say."
Jared, "You say no, and that's a bad word."
Me with inner chuckle or relief, "I'm sorry Jared but I have to try and teach you sometimes."

I don't like to say no too much, I'd rather say yes but I guess I say maybe or later a lot because whenever Jared asks for something or to do something he hates it when I say later or maybe. He replies, "No not maybe either yes or no!"

This little boy is my little boy and still after four years sometimes it strikes me as weird that I'm a mom and that he really loves me as his mom and doesn't want anyone else to be his mom. Even when he's mad at me for being a bad mom. When he tells me I'm a bad mom I ask him if he wants someone else to be his mom and I name a few of his friends mom's names. He says he doesn't want any of them. In fact one time he told me, "You're a bad mom. But you can still be my mom." I love you Jared and will always love you and I hope you always love me just like you do now, even when you think I'm a bad mom:)

Birthday Day: Opening Presents Eating Chocolate Waffles Eating Cupcakes at school Day 2: Party!
You'd think a home made pinata would break! They ended up punching it and Chris helped it out a bit. (It also didn't help that we couldn't find Jared's bat so they used this stick with a pony on one end. A little awkward for three and four-year-olds.) The loot.
And of course cake and ice cream. Jared chose an airplane and has his 5 and 6 year birthday cakes picked out too. (I need to stop doing chocolate cakes, they look horrible with the icing.)
Jared's taught me a lot. I really do need to become as a little child and be like Jared. I'm going to share a story that I'm so, so ashamed of myself but proud of Jared.

When getting ready for his party I thought it'd be fun to make a pinata together. After the second of three coatings of newspaper and goop Jared was playing around with it while it was drying and punched it and dented it which also popped the balloon inside. Needless to say I was not very happy. I got after him in not the kindest way to which he replied sadly with his head down, "I guess I won't get a pinata. Sorry mom. It's my fault." And how did I respond? "You bet you won't!" I continued to be frustrated and not very nice to which I'm so ashamed of myself.

Later I repented and felt HORRIBLE! We decided to try and fix it. That too was a little frustrating as I tried to apply the third coat as it kept con caving in everywhere without the pressure of the balloon, but I was able to be a little better. So Jared got a funky looking pinata and I got taught a huge lesson. I love you Jared and ALWAYS will!

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh Marjorie! I love you!! I love Jared!! Isn't amazing how much we learn from our little people. I don't necessarily enjoy saying "no" either, but until another word is invented that means EXACTLY the same thing, I will continue to use it. Love, love, love you guys!

Ali said...

Oh man, I tell Evan "no" all the time...(already?!) I could learn so much from you. I know I'd be a better person if we lived closer. You need to share these stories more often so I can continue to set goals and be better :) Seriously. I love the response you give to Jared when he tells you you're a bad mom- classic. I'll have to remember that...and hopefully Evan will respond the same way Jared does?! (please, oh please).

Justin & Heather said...

ok...you are like the best mom ever...jared doesn't know how good he has it, haha, well, I guess he does since he wouldn't have any other take your place! I still remember visiting you at the hospital when you had him...man time flies doesn't it?

Grandma Meservy said...

Love all of you. the boys are growing up so fast. I love them and can't wait to see them.

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

The pinata looked really great and so did the cake. I have days where I get after Sam too much too and then realize that he's only 3 once and have to repent and correct myself too. I too have crazy moments where I can't believe how wonderful and what a blessing it is to be a Mom.