Today I had one of those moments. Jared has often asked to go play in the grass (what kid asks that? A city kid). I've found a spot where I really like. I go for a run, take them to the beach or zoo and then on the way home we stop in Lincoln Park where there's only grass, trees, geese and a pond a little ways off. The boys immediately jump out of their stroller and find sticks to dig with or hit branches and trees with and enjoy being boys.
Today was the same but Jared was even more attentive to Spencer. Jared woud run from tree to tree and call to Spencer to come along. Later in their play I heard Jared yell, "Spencer Help! Come help me up!) To which Spencer ran as fast as he could to aide his brother and offer his hand. Jared would grab it and pretty much get up on his own. But the play continued that way for a long time, Jared falling, calling for his brother, and Spencer running with outstrechted hands.
It hit me then as I smiled and glowed while watching my boys that I have given them a gift that no one else could. Each other. I always knew each addition would be a gift but I was feeling the rewards of it today. I thought to before Spencer when I would run around with Jared run down much earlier than he was but I played with him because I was his only option. Now he has his little brother who is much more fun, energetic, and interested in what he does and has to say. Spencer's speech is so limited right now I'm excited to see their relationship blossom even more with time.
I'm so grateful for the gift my boys are to me and to each other and SO excited to bring another gift into this world soon. Overwhelming? Yes. Worth it? No question! I love you boys!!!
3 comments:
OH, I love this story. Sometimes I tease about not having any more children and Evan being an only child because I'm afraid of the unknown of more...but that is the one and only thing as of late that would make me want more- to give Evan siblings. That is the greatest gift, you're so right.
How sweet- that makes me excited to be having another boy. And it sounds like you will soon have THREE boys! It seems like I know so many people with three boys! Maybe I will join the ranks in a couple of years:) Boys are so fun! I hope I can raise mine to be as loving as yours!!
You are so right. It's good to be reminded of that simple truth--you gave them each other, and yes it IS worth it.
Post a Comment