Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Christmas 2008

I'm all about saving money and I really thought $300 was a big enough saving to go ahead with a layover in Minneapolis. WRONG! What a day to travel, snowy. We started early Saturday morning with our travels and after delays and waiting we finally made it to Minneapolis around 8:00 PM and missed our connecting flight. After talking to attendants and realizing we weren't guaranteed arrival until Monday we headed out for our hotel. We eventually made it at 10:30, Spencer fell asleep on the shuttle and when we got to our room Jared asked if he could take a nap.

There were four flights going to Salt Lake on Sunday they were just full so we couldn't get on them but we could try stand by if we wanted. I wanted to get to Salt Lake as soon as possible to spend time with my parents while they had time off (the weekend) but was seriously debating getting a good nights rest and enjoying our little stay.

I wasn't able to debate for long because the boys got up at 5:30 and we caught the 6:00 shuttle to attempt the first flight of the day (8:00). There were three standbys left and we got them (two of which were in 1st class). We got into Salt Lake in time to go to church with my parents. We then opened some presents and headed off early Monday morning.
The trip to Idaho was about as good as our trip to Utah from Chicago. In what should take less than 4 hours took around 9 hours. We barely missed the open road before they closed it (like 10-15 cars in front of us). We waited for 2 1/2 hours before we realized they weren't going to open the roads anytime soon. We should have turned around so much sooner but oh well we made it at least in one day (luckily the boys were good and slept once we turned around.)
Malita my cousin who came with us and was a trooper for sure!While in Idaho we were able to meet up with Chris' best friend from high school and his wife who I definitely consider my friend. Below is the only picture I got. We really miss them! And since this post is so overdue and the main story was our travel I'll post a few more pictures to tell a little more of our wonderful stay with family:)
Christmas Morning
The whole Meservy clan (left to right starting in back row: Mal, Brandon, Ashley, Andy, Ty, Jim, Chris, Me, Spencer, Jordan, Cherie, Jared, Baillie)
A game we played where Cherie had to do sit ups and Jared joined in support.
Katie and Jared
Sisters night with 4 of the 6 (Valerie, Jeanine, Me, and Heidi)
Back in Salt Lake enjoying Temple Square. (Jared and Naomi)
Mom, Chris, Me, Angela, Jared, Naomi, Kenya, and Micah in the stroller
Jared and Trent my brother who had fun doing different hairstyles with Jared's hair.
We were able to see everyone of our siblings, mine in spurts throughout but more than I expected before we left. Our trip back was a little better than the way out but that's about it. We almost missed our connecting flight which boarded on time but then we waited for 2 hours before it actually left. But all the wait it was worth the vacation and family we'll just go direct next time during the winter.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

Wow, sounds like a nightmare in traveling, but a good time with family! Your boys are growing up so fast! Spencer looks like such a grown up boy! So very cute.

Andy Erekson said...

What a brave (or should I say crazy) woman, not taking a direct flight with 2 kids! I'm glad you finally made it and able to enjoy some time with the fam. So, any plans to visit Portland soon? We sure miss you guys! Call me (I need your new number)!

Melissa

Ali said...

What a fun re-cap. I'm feeling the love in the family just looking at all the pictures. I love your hair, by the way...you look adorable. Makes me want to go short!!!

Joseph A said...

Well, it's about time! Really, I'm glad to see a post again; we like keeping up with you guys. :o)

Looks like you had fun for the remainder of your trip. We're glad we got to see you and catch up, if only for a few hours. Hope all is going well now that you're home.

Camille said...

I love the pic of you and Jared in the car...its so cute and full of personality! :)